Soooo - back to the Uke.
The body of the ukulele is complete as far as the sides go, but it needs a neck block.
I have made the neck block from Australian Cedar for its lightness, strength and tonal qualities.
The neck block is over large - as this end of the uke is a weak point on a cutaway design.
The neck block is glued in place.
I have been refining the body and getting things ready for the application of the linings. These hold the top and bottom in place when they are glued to the body sides.
I made the linings on the tablesaw from a piece of paulonia.
The kerfed timber was then cut into strips on the bandsaw.
The full story of making the linings can be found here:
I had made enough when I constructed my first ukulele, to have sufficient for a few more ukes.
The linings are held in place by clamps and pegs until the glue is dry.
This is done one side at a time, to allow the mould to support the body, and for it to project enough to apply the clamps.
Once the top is done, the mould is flipped over and the process repeated for the bottom.
Inevitably there is excess glue that needs cleaning up, as well as any bumps from the linings that project above the edges.
This is easily attended to with a small block plane.
Enough for today.
Next time I'll look at the front and the back.
Happy shavings to all.