Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life.

Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life. Sunset at Telegraph Point.

Sunday, October 24, 2021

 Building a Small Chest of Drawers - Part 4 - Butterflies and Cracks

The silky oak that I have managed to find for the chest of drawers isn't without its imperfections.

Both pieces that I have available for the sides of the carcass have drying/seasoning cracks that need attention before I can proceed.

I decided to add a butterfly check to each of them on the inside of the carcass where they will not be seen.

First step is to cut out a butterfly using a piece of long grain timber. Offcuts from the silky oak will do nicely, as they won't be seen.


Use the butterfly as a template, and draw its position across the crack.


I use a sharp chisel to score just inside the lines. I will work back to these and then pare down to final size.


I start in the middle and work my way to the outsides.


Sharp chisels are a must. A skew chisel helps to get into the acute angles of the corners. A fishtail chisel would also work well, and might even be a better choice - I'll make one for next time. Sneak up on the sides, and do several trial fits until the butterfly fits perfectly.


To get the depth exact, and to establish a perfectly flat floor for gluing, a small router plane is ideal. This one is made by Lee Valley, but there are plenty of others now available in the marketplace.


Glue, clamp and leave to dry.
After the glue has set, simply plane the proud timber back to level with the surface.
The crack is now checked, and placed where it will be out of sight.

Until next time ........... when I'll outline how to make a fishtail (bachi-nomi style) chisel
..........................happy shavings to all.














No comments:

Post a Comment