Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life.

Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life. Sunset at Telegraph Point.

Monday, October 4, 2021

 Building a Small Chest of Drawers - Part 3


Hand cut Dovetails

The top of the carcass will be joined to the sides with through dovetails.

I cut the tails into the top and carefully chisel out the waste.


A coping saw removes most of the waste, and the remainder is done with sharp chisels.


Here is the finished top showing tails on both sides.
I use the finished top as the template for the pins in each side.
I like to clamp this in place while I mark out with a sharp marking knife.


Carefully mark all the waste to be removed.
It sounds so elementary, but it is so easy to remove the wrong parts - .............don't ask!


The pins are straight, so a small marking square is all that's needed to finish the layout.



I like to establish a shallow shoulder with a chisel, that creates a clean line to work towards.
As the waste is chiseled out I try to create a slight undercut, so that there is nothing protruding to stop the tails from sitting snug.



A skew chisel is a great aid in cleaning out the angled base of the pins.
I made this one from an old Jenbolaget chisel. Swedish steel is always good and holds a keen edge



Once the tails are cleaned up it's time for a trial fit.
I know some say not to trial fit but to glue up immediately, but I still have some work to do to the bottom in establishing where the feet will go, and I want to temporarily clamp some web frames to the carcass to test for square.

In part 4 I'll assemble the carcass

Happy shavings to all



















No comments:

Post a Comment