I have used an outline from the LOML's tenor ukulele body. That particular uke has such a sweet sound - let's hope this one is as good.
The neck brace is made up of some 4"X2" radiata pine scraps that will be held in the bench vice in use. It has a sliding headstock support, made from an offcut from this neck and some scraps that have been glued together.
This ukulele neck is a tenor - a concert and soprano have shorter necks, and a baritone neck is longer.
This jig will support them all.
The back braces have to be formed on a radius of 15 feet, so a sanding block - cut to this profile - is necessary. A 15 feet length of string and a pencil are all that are needed to mark this out.
After marking it out and rough cutting, it needs smoothing. What better than a compass plane to finish this off. Here I am using a Record 020, which has a sole that can be adjusted to the required curve. Planing has to take place from the ends to the middle - to avoid tearout. This planes with the grain, and not against it.
I was hoping to have the soundboard made, but I took my newly made rosette cutter across to The Hastings Woodworkers Guild Clubroom on Saturday, and foolishly left it there.
So I have had to make myself busy on other aspects of the Uke build until I retrieve it. It's over an hour's drive, so I'm going to leave it there until next time I visit.
Tomorrow, I'll start cutting out the sides and the end blocks, as well as forming up the back braces and gluing up the the back.
The back and sides are sassafras, and the soundboard will be western red cedar.
Tomorrow will be busy.
Happy woodworking to all ................ and ........................
May your life sing ....................